Trees (Part 1)

Today Micah, Lyle and I went for a walk at Frick Park, here in Pittsburgh. We stumbled upon this huge sycamore tree next to one of the feeder creeks in the Nine Mile Run watershed.


I've always loved trees. When I was a kid I tried to save a forest of oak and cherry behind my home. When was about 11 years old I started trying to create ancient looking trees by learning the art of bonsai, when I was about 35 I started planting trees at Garfield Farm and with farmer friends in central Mexico. Trees have always felt like companions to me. They've even provided spiritual experiences in my life where I've connected with the Divine.

Now, today, we're learning more about the importance of trees and their ultimate importance in saving the planet and human kind as we face the existential threat of climate change. According to a new study published in Science Magazine there is enough unused land around the planet located in areas that should or could be forested for close to one trillion trees! This is enough new tree cover to absorb 25% of the carbon currently in our atmosphere within a few decades. And that's enough CO2 reduction, if we also cut emissions,  to make real progress on stopping and maybe, just maybe, reversing climate change. And, I'll point out, the study does not even consider the potential of trees being used in agroforestry. Imagine if our agricultural systems were built on the development of forests, instead of mono-cropped corn. It can, and it is happening! Indigenous people of used forest based agriculture for millennia, just one more way we need to sit at the feet of the planet's indigenous people and leave behind the egotism of civilization as we know it. We Of course can start now by planting trees, lots of them, anywhere and everywhere. 

How does this connect with my sabbatical? After putting a lot of thought into what in the world I would do if I ever had a sabbatical, this past year I realized what I have always wanted to do was to experience the largest and oldest trees on the planet. Since I was a little kid I've dreamed of seeing both the coastal redwoods and the giant sequoia's of California. I've  also wanted to visit the ancient bristlecone pines of Nevada, Utah and California, trees that are more than double the age of the Christian faith. There are living individuals that were 500 or 1000 years old when Moses lived! The oldest were 3000 years old when Jesus lived and they still live today! And, if you think that's amazing, we'll also visit a forest of quaking aspens that are at least 10,000 years old. The trees look small, the trunks come and go, but the root system regenerates and has been the same DNA for at least 10,000 years. That's ridiculous. That stand of tres may out-date humans existence in North America.

Trees have always provided deep experiences for me. But I've never seen anything beyond the eastern forests. I love our Pennsylvania and Virginia forests. Over the next few months I'll get to visit some of North America's most amazing forests, mostly in Utah, Nevada and California, in addition to the forests I know so well here in the east. I've got a slew of books to read about forests, trees and God's love for these and all of God's creatures. A few topics I'm hoping to write about: my own experience with trees, The Mexico Food Forest Project, Trees for the Future and their work, Archangel and their work to reforest with ancient Redwood DNA, and much, much more. I hope I can convey the idea that planting trees is no just about planting trees, it's about creating a planet earth where all of creation, especially the oppressed of this world, are able to live into the future with hope, health and the joy well-being.

Trees, I've always been taken by them. I've always loved them. Now, maybe, just maybe, trees will play a huge role in saving life on earth from the worst of climate change and show us all why they should be loved so much. 

Comments

Popular Posts