Sabbatical 2019 (a slow start)

That was the goal, to have a slow start to my 2019 sabbatical. I've been working as a pastor, farmer and musician for about 15 years, and my community granted me the amazing gift of a four month sabbatical. Some friends from the church set out nearly two years ago to help me plan this extended, maybe once in a lifetime, opportunity to rest and explore. We planned three different iterations of this time off, one that would have happened last summer, then one that would have included a large grant, and finally this final version. There's so much I could say about what I do and how taking a sabbatical is a ridiculous idea, in many ways. I could say so much about how farmers can't take a vacation, let alone a sabbatical. I could say even more about the generosity and support of the church I helped found in 2004 and the ministry we call Garfield Community Farm. Basically, I don't deserve a sabbatical, I didn't earn a sabbatical, no one owed this time off with my family to me. It's all a gift that I have been able to accept. And this gift did not come from one person, one group of people or even one church. Some of the funds to support this time off came from churches that support the ministry of Garfield Farm, they are our supporting churches and they also support me and my ability to earn a living. Some of the funding came from a grant from our denomination, a denomination that believes pastors should have extended times to rejuvenate every seven years or so. And the largest portion of the sabbatical funding came from The Open Door Presbyterian Church, our small PCUSA congregation that has supported me and my family is amazing ways over the years. And so, we've begun slowly, with four days that have really felt like an extended weekend. We haven't traveled anywhere, haven't spent huge amounts of time doing anything specifically sabbatical-like, just yet. But, today I'm taking some time to set my intentions.

A Few Intentions:
1. Pause and experience the "here and now": We'll be traveling quite a bit over the next four months to some places I've wanted to see my entire life. I've planned and dreamed about traveling to these places and really didn't think I ever would. They're not extremely extravagant, we just don't have the money to travel much. I hope to be in these places and experience them, but not try to hold on to those experiences. I will stand under giant sequoias for a few hours, I hope to experience the sacredness of those trees. But I also want to experience the sacredness of the "here and now," of every moment that has been granted to me during these four months.
2. Give grace to my kids and help them experience this summer without judgement or critique: I'm a little worried that my kids will steal away some of what I hoped this sabbatical would be like. I've planned and dreamed about this time for so long that I'm holding onto it a little tightly. I hoping to let go of it, especially for the sake of my kids, and let them have fun, laugh and play, even if it means I have to give something up.
3. Create without expectation: I have the privilege of job that has demanded lots of creativity. I love thinking about solutions to problems (a major tenant of permaculture) and implementing those solutions. I love writing, rehearsing, recording, performing original music. I love creating things for other people. But I've realized that I often miss the joy of the creative process for the sake of the finished product. Holding a CD in my hands that I created, even the photography on front and back, brings me great joy. During the sabbatical I'll have time for creating and finishing things. But I hope to journal again, write songs, and do other creative projects that don't have any end plan, their purpose is in the doing not the completing.
4. Consider what's next: Coming out of the sabbatical I'll be faced with the opportunity to reshape my job, reconsider what my call is and hopefully develop a more sustainable future for me, our church and the farm. I don't want to dwell on this part, but I do hope to develop some clarity around my vocational call for the next 5 or 10 years. 

There will be more intentions and thoughts about these intentions. I'll try to do some of my journaling here, for anyone who cares to read. I'll post photos and experiences as we have them. Maybe I'll post some quotes and thoughts about the reading I'm doing. We'll see, maybe I won't post much. No expectations! Stay posted! We're off to a perfectly slow start so far!

Comments

Popular Posts