Bruce and Phil

For years I've been into
Bruce Cockburn, one of the greatest guitarists I know of and one of the most profound prophetic voices in the mainstream music business today. Before that I was into
Phil Keaggy, a legend on guitar. Phil Keaggy, in the early 70's was a part of a band called Glass Harp, they were right up there with some of the greatest rock bands of the 70's, and that's saying something. But Phil became a Christian at age 18. It seems his sudden conversion caused the break up of the band. He became known as the best Christian guitarist instead of one of the best guitarists, I think that's unfortunate. Though his music over the years was truly amazing, it would have been cool if he could have also been a prophetic voice in American culture as a Christian.

Anyway, Today I bought both of their new albums. It's been years since I bought a Phil Keaggy album and even listened to it more than a couple of times, I'm just not impressed with his new music. It was almost like he used up all of his creative song writting skills in the 70's and 80's when he wrote great songs and ripped through the guitar like all the best. The new album, while it doesn't include any lyrics, is actually a rock and roll album, finally! The last few have been very mellow instrumentals that I think are kinda boring. Now I'm hearing those amazing guitar sounds that I can't imaging making myself - that's what I like to hear from Phil!

As for the Bruce Cockburn album, I haven't listened to it yet, I'll let you know what I think later.

Comments

Popular Posts